Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Challenges that Broke Atlas' Back


So this is the last installment of reading challenges.

E-book Challenge

Photobucket Hosted by Workaday Reads

Pretty self-explanatory, I have a kindle, and now prefer to do as much of my reading on that than a DT book, so I figure I can manage Memory stick - 50 ebooks


Classic Double Challenge

Photobucket 

From the site: "read one older book (classic) and a newer book that relates to the older one in some way."  I will sign up for the Medium: You read 4 books (2 sets of related books).  I plan to read a few classic books, and I will likely read at least one Jane Austen book, and I will hopefully find some modern books that will tie in somehow with the originals. I expect to do so easily with Jane Austen, for I have several Austenesque books waiting to be read.

What's in a Name challenge

Photobucket 
Hosted by Beth Fish Reads

Read one book in each of the following categories:
  • A book with a topographical feature (land formation) in the title: Black Hills, Purgatory Ridge, Emily of Deep Valley
  • A book with something you'd see in the sky in the title: Moon Called, Seeing Stars, Cloud Atlas
  • A book with a creepy crawly in the title: Little Bee, Spider Bones, The Witches of Worm
  • A book with a type of house in the title: The Glass Castle, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Ape House
  • A book with something you'd carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack in the title: Sarah's Key, The Scarlet Letter, Devlin Diary
  • A book with a something you'd find on a calendar in the title: Day of the Jackal, Elegy for April, Freaky Friday, Year of Magical Thinking


I thought that this would be a fun challenge to try to do. I will probably read Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergen, Northanger Abbey or Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson, Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon, and Farthing by Jo Walton.

European Reading Challenge

Photobucket 
Hosted by 

From the site: "The idea is to read books by European authors or books set in European countries (no matter where the author comes from). The books can be anything – novels, short stories, memoirs, travel guides, cookbooks, biography, poetry, or any other genre. You can participate at different levels, but each book must be by a different author and set in a different country – it's supposed to be a tour."

Alas, the UK counts as one. I know I will probably read several books set in England and Scotland, and I'll be reading the Phantom of the Opera, so France will be taken care of. Part of Dracula is set in Romania, Waterfall by Lisa T. Bergen is set in Italy, and Cornelia Funke has written a few books I've not caught up on, so that would be Germany. I would also have to look to see if Eoin Colfer is a citizen of which part of Ireland to see if he would count too, or where his protagonist, Artemis Fowl, lives.  So I think I could manage at least Five Star (Deluxe Entourage): Read at least five books by different European authors or books set in different European countries.

The Dusty Bookshelf Challenge

Photobucket 
Hosted by Books: A True Story

Like the other challenges of this type, read through the books you've had for awhile on your shelf. I decided to go for the highest level Grungy – Read 20+ books

Double Crossing by Meg Mims- a few months
The Willows: Haven by Hope Collier- a few months
Dance of the Winnebagos by Ann Charles- a few months
Regulated for Murder by Suzanne Adair- a few months
A Cast Off Coven by Juliet Blackwell- a few months
Miserere by Teresa Frohock- 6 months
Twixt Two Equal Armies by Gail McEwen- a few months
Cryoburn by Lois Bujold McMaster- 1 year
The Leavenworth Case by Anna Katherine Green- 1 year
The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie- 1 year

Award-Winning-Books Reading Challenge

Photobucket 

"We are not restricting this to children’s and YA book awards. We also welcome entries on adult literature such as books that won the Man Booker Prize, Man Asian Literary Prize, the Pulitzer, and other recognition of exceptionality in literary works. This is also not restricted to international awards, local/regional award giving bodies would likewise be honored."

I have no idea how many of the books I've been planning to read, or will read, have received awards. I generally find that the speculative fiction award-winners are books that I am more likely to read than the Man Booker winner, or other heady ones, for they're rarely my bag. However, I am willing to nose around and see if there are any interesting books from the various award winners. Ergo, I will be aiming for Level 1 (10 books or less) – Bronze Medal.  I will be reading a Spirit Ring by Lois Bujold McMaster and Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany, and I beleive both won a Hugo. Connie Willis will be releasing a new book which might well win another Hugo for her! I'll try to find other genres though. I know there are a few in mystery, and I think I've read one or two of their winners in the past.

Get Steampunked!

Photobucket 
Hosted by The Bookish Ardour

Basically read books that are steam punk. I enjoy reading books in that genre, so I think I will try to do Geared – Choose 5 books to readI know that I will read Timeless by Gail Carriger. I also have been wanting to read Cherie Priest, and the latest from Scott Westerfeld.

I had to laugh when I discovered the next challenge.
Reading Challenge Addict

Reading Challenge Addict

So, yeah, a challenge for reading challenge addicts. So far I have decided to participate in a mind boggling 22 challenges, and I doubt that I will finish them all, but I will make a stand and say that I will make it to this level: In Flight: 11-15 Challenges (Entered & Completed)
I know there are several other challenges knocking around, and maybe I'll even wind up entering those later one, but these are the ones that I will commit to today.

No comments:

Post a Comment